- UWA Home
- Faculty of Law
- Contact us
- Staff profile
Professor Eileen Webb
- Contact details
- Law School
The University of Western Australia (M253)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- 6488 2947
- 6488 1045
- BA Griff., LLB LLM Qld UT, DipEd Qld, PhD W.Aust.
- Eileen is a Professor in the Faculty of Law. She is Co-Director of the Consumer Research Unit and a former Associate Dean of the Faculty.
- Key research
- Australian and international Consumer Law, Real Property Law (in particular housing and accommodation law and retail and commercial leasing). Eileen also researches on how law affects Senior Australians, particularly in relation to accommodation and financial transactions.
- Nahan N.Y. and Webb, E.A. 2013 Unfair contract terms, J.Malbon and L.Nottage (eds) Consumer Protection Law and Policy in Australia Federation Press.
Nahan N.Y. and Webb, E.A. 2013 Curbing unfair and oppressive conduct in consumer and business transactions - Unconscionable conduct J.Malbon and L.Nottage (eds) Consumer Protection Law and Policy in Australia Federation Press.
Webb, E.A. 2013 Extending responsible lending to small business - a 'consumer' catagorization? in T. Wilson (ed) International Responses to Crisis - Credit, Over-indebtedness and Insolvency, Ashgate, UK.
Griggs, L., Webb, E.A. 2011, 'Section 22 Unconscionability - A Sauropod in Need of Life Support', QUT Law and Justice Journal, 11, 1.
Aviva Freilich, Lynden Griggs and Eileen Webb, Challenging the notion of a consumer: Time for change? (2011) 19 Competition and Consumer Law Journal 12.
Luke Villiers and Eileen Webb, Using relational contract principles to construe the landlord-tenant relationship: Some preliminary observations (2011) 1 Property Law Review 21.
Eileen Webb, Considering unfairness in retail leases — A bridge too far or justifiable extension? (2010) 19 Australian Property Law Journal 58.
Eileen Webb, ACCC v Dukemaster: A recognition of acoustic segregation in Australian retail leasing? (2010) 18 Australian Property Law Journal 48.
Eileen Webb, 'The Response of the Australian Courts to Real Property Mortgages
Involving Predatory Lending Practices', Chapter 6, Edgeworth, Moses & Sherry, Property and Securities: Selected Essays, Thomson 2010.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Eileen has completed consultancies for public and private organisations including the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the Western Australian Small Business Development Corporation and the Western Australian Department of Commerce.
- Future research
- The Impact of Legislation on Housing Security for Seniors in Western Australia: This research, funded by Lotterywest, will examine accommodation designated for seniors, such as residential aged care facilities and retirement villages, strata title developments, public housing tenancies, boarding and lodging houses, and residential parks. The research will also consider the law as it impacts on seniors in rural and regional areas; seniors with disabilities; culturally and linguistically diverse seniors; and those with low incomes and low assets.
Seniors housing in rural and regional Western Australia and Alberta: This project examines the distinctive housing concerns impacting on seniors in rural and regional areas in Western Australia and Alberta. In conjunction with the Faculty of Human Ecology, University of Alberta, Consumer Research Unit researchers will engage in a comparison between housing and accommodation laws in the two jurisdictions.
- Funding received
- Associate Professor Eileen Webb, Associate Professor Aviva Freilich 2012, 'The Impact of Legislation on Housing Security for Seniors in Western Australia', Lotterywest ($225,000).
Associate Professor Eileen Webb, Assistant Professor Aviva Freilich, Dr Deborah Hindley 2008, 'A Review Of Existing International Practices In Relation To Unconscionable Conduct And Renewal Of Licences In The Franchising Industry', Small Business Development Corporation, Funds Approved: $27,000.00.
Associate Professor Eileen Webb 2006, 'Seed Funding - Centre for Advanced Consumer Research', Department of Consumer & Employment Protection, Funds Approved: $136,364.00.
- 2003 -2005 Foundation member of the West Australian Consumer Advisory Council
Member - Western Australian Consumers Association
Member - Management Committee - Consumer Credit Legal Service (WA)
Member - Australian Consumer Research Network
Member - International Association of Consumer Lawyers
State Editor – Australian Property Law Bulletin
Editorial Board - Competition and Consumer Law Journal
Editorial Board - Property Law Review
- Honours and awards
- Eileen has been the recipient of two University Excellence in Teaching Awards, one in the Individual category and the other for Inclusivity in her approach to teaching.
- Property Law
Current Issues in Consumer Law and Policy
- Research profile
Research profile and publications